Dec 16, 2008

Thankfulness, Gratitude, Meekness and Self-Control



This was written by my dear friend and mentor Kathy Patton. It really spoke to me today so I thought I would share it with you:
I love learning new visual aides and word pictures.

This morning I learned a few details about a very important small device on a boat. It is called the Trim Tab.

The Trim Tab is not the boat, nor is it the motor, it is not even the rudder on the motor. It is a small tab that when slightly turned in a new direction can affect the entire boat and its ability to properly ride through the water at greater speeds and allows the boat to turn with greater ease. It can significantly reduce the time needed to get up on plane. It also allow a boat to keep its bow down and stay on plane at lower speeds and thus conserving fuel.

I began applying this new concept to my life. What are some of the trim tabs that allow me greater effectiveness and ease of maneuvering through life?

Thankfulness and gratitude. I read in an article, "Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow."

Meekness. John MacArthur’s notes say it well, “This is not weakness but a genuine concern for others which will be reflected in a desire to treat others gently, just as the Lord treats all believers.”

Self-control. The restraining of my passions and appetites for the greater good. Not allowing my desires to dictate my actions but laying them down out of love for Jesus.

Of course there are many others that could indentified but for today I will be concerned with putting these three into practice. I know it will improve my effectiveness for Christ. This time of year can be filled with things to do, places to go and people to see if I do not focus my attention on the eternal. My hearts desire is to fill this Christmas with Christ.

Merry Christmas and a very blessed New Year,
Kathy

Posted by Deziray

No comments: